Last Updated on September 23, 2018 by Aether
PDFs are a fantastic file format as they are compatible with almost every common platform, they do not take up much space, and they can’t be easily changed and edited. This is perfect for when you’re trying to send out a form, or anything else of that nature. However, sometimes you will need to make changes due to misplacing the original document, or if you never actually owned the original document from which the PDF was created from.
Luckily, there are several ways in which you can ultimately convert your PDF file into an easily editable Word document, which you can then re-save and redistribute.
Converting PDF files online
There are numerous amounts of web-based software PDF converters that are available online for you to use, to convert your PDF files to Word documents. These are particularly useful if you do not have immediate access to Adobe Acrobat or Microsoft Word. If you do have these programs, and they aren’t converting correctly, then you will want to try some of the more popular web-based services that we have listed below. They are all incredibly easy to use, and simply require you to upload your file, pick the conversion method that you prefer, and then just start the process. As soon as is done processing, all you need to do is download the file, or have it sent to your email inbox.
Here are some of the more reputable websites for PDF conversion:
PDF to DOC
This website allows you to convert several PDF files at once, which is ideal if you have a large project. It also works with many other file formats, not just PDF.
To use this service, just select the file that you wish to convert, click convert, and then you’re finished. What’s great is that you can opt to have your PDF file converted into an Excel or Powerpoint file. There isn’t a guarantee that it will convert well, but depending on your editing needs, one of these options may be more beneficial.
Nitro PDF to Word
This service emails you the converted word file to any email address that you choose, which can be useful if you are unable to save the document on the computer that you are using.
Converting PDF files with Adobe Acrobat and Microsoft Word
While using online PDF conversion websites is a very easy process, it could be that you are looking to use one because you are unaware of the current capabilities of the software that you own. If you own Adobe Acrobat or Microsoft Word, you will be able to convert any PDF file without the need for internet access.
Using Adobe Acrobat
- First, open the PDF file that you want to convert, in Adobe Acrobat. Usually, double-clicking on the file should open it up in Acrobat automatically, but if it doesn’t, you will have to manually open it
- On the right-hand side, look for an option that says Export PDF and click it
- The program will give you several choices to choose from, but it’s likely you will want to stick with a Word document
- Next, click export. Acrobat will now start to run text recognition throughout the whole document. This process doesn’t always work but should pick up most of the legible text. Bear in mind that depending on how the PDF was laid out, you will need to do some reformatting on your new word document
- Name your new document and save it to your desired location
Using Microsoft Word
- To start, open up Word and click file. On the next menu, click open, as if you are opening a regular word document.
- Locate the PDF file that you want to convert. You can find it by searching for it by name, or by going to the particular location where it is stored. When you found it, click open.
- Word will now start its text recognition process and convert the whole file into a Word document. Again, the formatting will be a bit off due to it being a word processor, so you may prefer to actually use an online PDF to Word conversion website anyway