Last Updated on October 18, 2020 by Aether
The Dark Iron Dwarves were added as a playable race for the Alliance, in the Battle for Azeroth expansion. This guide will go over how to unlock Dark Iron Dwarves, the classes that are available to them, their racials, customisation options, Heritage armour, and mounts.
Table of Contents
- How To Unlock Dark Iron Dwarves
- Dark Iron Dwarf Classes
- Dark Iron Dwarf Racial Traits
- Dark Iron Dwarf Heritage Armor
- Dark Iron Dwarf Racial Mount
- Closing thoughts
How To Unlock Dark Iron Dwarves
If you want to play as a Dark Iron Dwarf, you must conduct the following:
- Battle for Azeroth: expansion must be purchased and installed.
- Ready for War Achievement: this achievement is obtained by progressing through and completing the first part of the War Campaign. Completing the War Campaign is straight forward, and you quest log will have details on what to do next at the top.
- Exalted Reputation with 7th Legion: The rep is Alliance only, and is tied in with the War Campaign of Battle for Azeroth. To finish off getting Exalted, you will need to do World Quests and other associated dailies. However, once Shadowlands hits, the rep requirement for all Allied Races will be removed.
- Once the above steps are complete, you should now head to Stormwind Embassy.
- Complete the given Blackrock Mountain scenario.
- Complete THE MOTHERLODE dungeon. This can be done on any difficulty, but Mythic+ probably won’t count.
- Go back to the Embassy in Stormwind and hand in the quest.
- Next quest will take you to Molten Core, which has you riding a tank and spamming a single button, before being dismounted for the remainder of the quest, in order to kill Gezzroc The Keeper.
- You will then be sent back to Stormwind, and given another quest which will take you to Firelands.
- Once inside, run over the bridge killing all mobs, until you reach High-Justice Grimstone. Slay him.
- Now, stand in the fire at the edge of the lake while you fill up the core. When you reach 100% a mole machine appears behind you that will take you back to Stormwind Embassy, so that you can hand in the quest.
- Next quest will send you back to Blackrock Mountain, which tasks you to repair the Black Anvil. Once repaired, return to Stormwind one last time via the mole machine, and speak to Anduin.
- You will now have unlocked the achievement Allied Races: Dark Iron Dwarf and the Dark Iron Dwarves will now be available for you to play! Congratulations! You will also receive Tabard of the Dark Iron and Dark Iron Core Hound.
Dark Iron Dwarf Classes
Dark Iron Dwarves are able to play as the following classes:
- Death Knight (Shadowlands)
Dark Iron Dwarf Racial Traits
The Dark Iron Dwarf Racial Traits are:
- Fireblood: Removes all poison, disease, curse, magic, and bleed effects and increases your primary stat by 600 for each effect removed. Lasts 8 sec. 2 min cooldown.
- Mole Machine: While outdoors, summon a Mole Machine that tunnels through the earth.
- Dungeon Delver: While indoors, move 4% faster.
- Forged in Flames: Reduces damage taken from Physical attacks by 1%.
- Mass Production: Increases Blacksmithing skill by 5 and Blacksmithing speed by 25%.
Dark Iron Dwarf Heritage Armor
The Heritage armor for Dark Iron Dwarves is only unlocked from levelling a new Dark Iron Dwarf from scratch. Race change or level boosts will not unlock it.
Dark Iron Dwarf Racial Mount
The Dark Iron Dwarves have a custom Core Hound as their mount.
What is the fastest way to unlock Dark Iron Dwarf?
The fastest way to unlock Dark Iron Dwarves is to focus on completing the main War Campaign, then World Quests to finish off the rep grind.
Can Dark Iron Dwarves be Death Knights?
Yes, Dark Iron Dwarves can be Death Knights if your account has pre-ordered Shadowlands.
Are Dark Iron Dwarves good?
Due to their racials, this race is good against classes or encounters where you want to be able to remove all damage over time effects on you. However, unless you’re pushing World First progression, or high-rated Arena, your characters race really does not matter.
Can Dark Iron Dwarves be Paladins?
Yes, Dark Iron Dwarves are able to be Paladins. There’s a decent amount of lore written into the game that supports why Paladins are ‘allowed’ to be a thing.
Hopefully this guide has laid out how to unlock Dark Iron Dwarves easily enough. This Allied Race is iconic throughout World of Warcraft’s lore, and many people were very happy when this race was announced. Personally, I’m a huge fan of Dwarves, but I rarely play Alliance anymore. So if you’re a big Dwarf fan like myself, please make an extra one just for me!